Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One year of bread making!

One year ago I decided to try my hand at bread-making. Im happy to say that we've bought very few loaves since then and Im really enjoying learning this new art. But an art it is, and Im still very novice at it. Some of my experiments have ended in the ugliest loaves you've ever seen. Not to mention all the help from the kids. Last week, just as my beautiful bread was finally ready for baking, I found it punched down and covered in sand. One of my little people just couldnt resist.....they have seen me punch it down...Im sure they thought they were helping! If only they hadnt been in the sandbox just before "helping". Sigh.

I've tried quite a few recipes, mostly whole wheat varieties. Im still learning about what affects the crumb, and how protein percentages change the gluten. How not to over or under knead, and how to get the perfect moisture content. One day I'll know 110 degree water by touch instead of a thermometer, but Im a long way from that!

To celebrate one year of making bread, I ordered this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bible-Henspergers-Favorite-Recipes/dp/0811816869

I've checked it out from the library several times and today borrowed it from my friend Stefanii. Its time I have my own copy....now that Im a bread-baker!

Today I made Beth's Honey Buttermilk bread for the first time.....it wont last long around here!
It went from this:

To this.....

To this!

Posted by Picasa




5 comments:

  1. you are gonna think I'm such a *novice*, but I've been addicted to the book "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" - it's what I've been doing for the past few months.

    love this blog - you better keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Em, glad you like it! I dont have that book, but Ive played with the recipes some...getting them off the various food blogs that have talked about it. For 5 minute bread, its awesome! Do you think it lacks some flavor though? I mean, with only 4 ingredients, how can it not? But still....so easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a fellow break-baker for a bit now, but mercy! My loaves can't compete with these. Masterful works of art! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a really great blog, I am so glad to meet you!!! I want to make bread so badly, I've never done it!

    ReplyDelete